The school will be the second site for the Gibside School in Gateshead. The new purpose-built SEN institute when complete will accommodate 170 pupils who have multiple learning disabilities as well as complex communication and medical needs.
The bespoke one storey building has been specially designed to incorporate the needs of the children. The building will house 21 classrooms that will all open out onto play areas. Alongside the classrooms the school will include;
• A hydrotherapy pool with hoists that can take pupils directly from changing beds to the water
• Two halls – one for dining and recreation and one for PE and performances
• An internal sheltered courtyard so children can play outdoors in all weather
• A multi-use games area with accessible gym equipment and separate play areas for key stage 1 and 2 and early years children
• Extensive landscaped area outside with fruit trees
• Sensory and soft play rooms
• Specialist changing facilities
• Offices for physiotherapy
Procured via the Scape framework, Wates lead the design process with a successful award onto the project in 2019.